Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Soon to be...Dr. Jackson

The other day in a small group that I had for medical school, we had this kookie pediatrician leading it. We are graded on our participation, so you have to add to group to get your points.

The kookie pediatrician, had us each before we answered a question announce ourselves as "Soon to be...Dr. whoever". The entire group laughed and giggled at how juvenile this seemed. (Also, you have to understand that she had us play a game that we held up post-it notes with the answers on them.)

So one by one we announced soon to be Dr. Smith, soon to be Dr. Peterson, soon to be Dr. Jones and so on. Each time there was some giggling. We all just felt like kindergardeners playing dress up and pretending to be doctors.

When I finally raised my hand to answer a question, which I had put off because I just felt silly having to say "Soon to be Dr. Jackson". I was called on, clearly announced "Soon to be Dr. Jackson" of course which followed with giggles from around the room.

But as it was coming out of my mouth, it really dawned on me that- Yes, I, Lesley Jackson was going to be a Doctor in just a few short years. It truly felt amazing, and empowering. I'm not a child playing dress up or even a college student dreaming of being a doctor, I am Soon to be Dr. Jackson!

Even if this pediatrician is a little kookie, she knew just how powerful those four little words could be...Soon to be Dr.
Lesley

1 comment: