Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Weigh in Wednesdays ~

In light of the last post, I figured I would be a hypocrite if I didn't do something pro-weight loss. I have been meaning to loose a little weight for a while but after that slap in the face there is no way I can ignore it any longer.

So I decided, after some debate, that the best way for me to stick to my weight loose resolution was by accountability. Hence the new post series 'Weigh in Wednesdays'. What better motivation than to publicly have to record your weight and a few honest thoughts about how the journey has been, the ups and downs. I can't promise anything huge is going to happen, I mean I am a medical student (which I am having trouble making a first priority right now) but I am going to try. I have too many clothes especially bottoms, that I love and are in a boxed labeled TOO SMALL.

Which in to spirit of total honestly, I have to confess that the phase "I have outgrown these clothes", is a way for me to downsize how big of a deal my weight gain has been. Out growing clothes is a neutral spin to becoming to fat to zip, button or squeeze your way into your favorite pair of jeans. I mean, we say kids out grow clothes all the time and that isn't negative, just a fact of life. I don't want me out growing my clothes to be a fact of life. So I am just going to say it, I can no longer suck in enough belly pudge or squeeze my ever widening hips into those smaller cutter skirts and pants. And the jeans (size 6) that I bought to be my heavier jeans have now become my skinny jeans that I look at longingly, wishing I could wear them. There comes a day when rolls are not so cute and unfortunately for us it comes at the end of the toddler years.

Ok, deep breath here it goes:


Weight: 154 lbs
Pant size: 10
Waist: ? (will update when I find a tape measure)
BMI: 25.3 (overweight)

BMI Categories:

  • Underweight = <18.5
  • Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
  • Overweight = 25–29.9
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
BMI Calculator: There is a great one at the National Heart and Lung Institute website.

Also, important are my goals. I don't have an end date set because realistically med. school must be a priority, but hopefully in the next 6-9 months. Cause lets face it, if I don't loose the weight you sure as heck won't be seeing me in any sort of bathing suit next summer. If I had had my embarrassing self revelation any sooner, you wouldn't have caught me dead in one this past season either.


GOALS:

Weight: 130 lbs

BMI: 21.3


Now it is out there for all to see and for all to see if I fail miserably or succeed.

Disclaimer: I know that some of my friends and family have already told me that I don't look that bad, which I know. I want everyone to understand I don't hate my self and I am certainly not going to become anorexic or bulimic.
However, I do, understand the value of a healthy weight and see the effects of being over weight all the time with the patients that I see. I also know, that healthy weight doesn't happen magically or overnight. IT IS A LIFE STYLE! So I have to start now. Your weight isn't determined by a New Year's resolution, or a short lived gym passion or a crazy juice fast...it is determined everyday by the decisions you make. The decisions of what to buy at the grocery store, saying no to fast food even when you are in a rush or deciding to exercise even when you want to tell yourself that you are too tired.

There is a famous writer (can't remember the specific one at this moment) that strongly believed that if you forced yourself to do something for 17 days that it would become a habit. So my goal is to force my self to stay motivated with healty eating everday and exercise most days a week for the next three weeks to force that to become habit. Then those habits will become a lifestyle.

I'll let you know how it is going next Wednesday. Words of encouragement are always welcome.

Lesley

1 comment:

  1. You can do anything that you set your mind to do. I know, I have seen you do it before!! :) Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete